Join the 2022 Season
We are auditioning the following voice types for our main roles (the full season will be announced in March 2022):
- Rossini soprano
- Rossini mezzo with an excellent top
- Rossini tenor
- Rossini baritone
- Rossini basso
- Basso cantante
- Dramatic tenor
- Lyric soprano
- Lyric/dramatic soprano
- Lyric/spinto tenor
- Lyric baritone
Chorus only auditions will be from 6:30 – 8:30pm
Opera Festival of Chicago will be auditioning singers to perform as part of our chorus in a fully staged operatic production of a masterpiece written by Giuseppe Verdi. This will be the opera’s Chicago premiere and we are delighted to be sharing this piece with a Midwest audience for the first time. The chorus serves as a dramatic and emotional backbone to the piece and supplies many breathtaking musical moments throughout the score. In joining us, you will be working alongside artists at the peak of the international opera industry.
Those auditioning for chorus only should prepare one Italian aria of their choice.
- Prepare two contrasting arias in Italian.
- For the Rossini category, please include one aria with a recitative and one that shows coloratura/fioritura.
- For the Lyric, Spinto and Dramatic category, please bring an aria from Verdi, (early Verdi preferable) recit-aria-cabaletta style, and if possible, something contrasting from Bellini, Donizetti and/or the Verismo repertoire.
- For digital auditions, please submit a link to a video recorded within the past 12-18 months.
- Submit a resume with list of roles and repertoire via the registration form
Please bring the following:
- 2 copies of the repertoire:
- A copy of the music for the pianist.
- A copy of the music for the jury panel.
We encourage singers to audition in person on February 20, 2022. If you are unable to make the audition, please complete the form and select the option for “digital audition”. An Opera Festival of Chicago team member will reach out to you after your registration is complete.
Auditions will be held at the Chicago College of Performing Arts/Roosevelt University, in Mikosky Hall. Details on how to access the building and to find your warm-up room will be provided during the week before the audition. Proof of vaccination is required to access the university buildings, so please bring a copy or a picture of your vaccination card and of a valid ID.
All performers will be required to provide proof of up-to-date Covid-19 vaccination prior to the start of the festival.
Live Auditions Times are currently full – please submit digitally or click here to be added to the wait list.